** TO BOOK A PLACE ON THIS WORKSHOP, PLEASE CONTACT GTC ON: 01476 591391 **
Date: Saturday 29th April 2017
Length: Full-day workshop
Medium: Pastel on Velour paper
Included in the workshop: All materials, light refreshments, all tuition.
Venue: The Old Clubhouse, Grantham Tennis Club, Gonerby Road, Gonerby Hill Foot, Grantham. NG31 8HU.
Times: 10am-4pm (please arrive for 9.45am)
Price: £60 (£50 Grantham Tennis Club members)
Places Available: 15
ABOUT THE DAY
Pastel is an age-old medium, and, in my opinion, one of the easiest to use if you know how, with no mixing or additives involved.
Of all the supports that pastels can be used on, velour paper is probably the most forgiving. Velour holds many layers of pastel pigment without smudging and, therefore, will not require fixing with chemical sprays.
In addition, velour produces wonderfully soft finishes to pastel artworks, making it ideal for animal fur, soft skin in portraits, and even landscapes.
Using traditional oil painting techniques of layering, Vic will guide you through the step-by-step process of creating a beautiful tiger portrait in pastel on velour; techniques that can then be applied to other subjects.
As the workshop is focused on pastel painting, rather than drawing, you will be provided with a ‘pre-outlined’ sheet of velour with the tiger sketched out to get you started. This is to ensure that the time is totally devoted to pastel techniques.
Once we have completed a tonal ‘underpainting’ to establish shape, form and lighting, Vic will show you how to block in the basic colours, before going on to teach you how to layer in realistic fur textures, essential for painting animals with fur.
Eyes are always the focus of any portrait, and you will learn Vic’s simple, but very effective, method of painting realistic eyes that shine.
Finally, Vic will offer tips on highlighting to transform a standard portrait from any photographic reference into one that has more atmosphere, even drama.
Tigers are one of the most popular subjects in wildlife art and your finished portrait, when framed, will enhance any home.
* Clients are required to bring their own standing or table easel. If you do not have an easel, there will be tables available to work on. Vic will provide boards to work on if required.
* Grantham Tennis Club has a cafe on site, and lunch orders can be pre-ordered on arrival for a specific time. Alternatively, you are welcome to bring a packed lunch.
* Tea, coffee and biscuits are provided.
* There is parking on site at Grantham Tennis Club. Please enter the car park, turn left, and head towards the old club house.
* Places are limited to 15 to ensure individual guidance.
* The workshop is suitable for beginners and advanced artists.
Tiger in Pastel Workshop - Hosted by Grantham Tennis Club
This workshop is being hosted by Grantham Tennis Club, so all bookings need to go directly through them.